Deliberate fire destroys garage and fills Colchester street with smoke
- Credit: google
A fire which is thought to have been started deliberately caused a garage to be destroyed, neighbouring buildings damaged and smoke to fill an Essex street.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service (ECFRS) was called to the fire in Providence Place, off Barrack Street in Colchester, at around 11.15am today.
Crews reported on arrival that the garage, which is behind a restaurant and measures 8mx5, was “completely alight”.
An ECFRS spokesman said firefighters requested the assistance of police to manage traffic on the road while they tackled the fire.
“Due to the amount of smoke, residents of nearby properties were encouraged to keep their windows and doors closed before firefighters extinguished the fire at 11.55am,” the spokesman added.
“The garage has been completely destroyed, while two other garages, positioned either side, have also suffered from fire damage.
“The cause of the fire has been recorded as deliberate.”
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 4 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 5 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 6 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 7 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 8 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking
- 9 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 10 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow