Essex: Fighter jets scrambled after plane drama
FIGHTER jets had to be scrambled to escort a plane into Stansted Airport this morning.
The alarm was raised after the pilot of the Etihad Airways plane, which was travelling from Abu Dhabi to Heathrow, reported a disturbance on board.
Essex Police later arrested a 37-year-old man, a British national, following the incident on the Airbus A340, which can seat up to 375 passengers.
A spokesman for the constabulary said: “The pilot reported a disturbance on board and a passenger making threats. It was nothing to do with terrorism.
“It was just a passenger who might have said something in the heat of the moment. He said something that was construed as a threat and taken seriously.”
You may also want to watch:
A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: “Typhoon aircraft were launched this morning to escort a passenger aircraft due to an incident on board. The aircraft landed safely at Stansted Airport.”
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 3 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 9 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 10 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham