Essex: More than 100 police special constables praised after making dozens of arrests over the weekend
- Credit: Archant
More than 100 special constables have been praised for their “knowledge, confidence and commitment” after making a series of arrests when carrying out search warrants in a three-day operation in Essex.
The volunteers gave up their time to take part in an Essex Police initiative to tackle outstanding warrants across the county on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
A total of 41 people were arrested by the special constables. The aim of the activity was to take a strong stance against those wanted for crime, and those that have not paid fines.
The operation was planned and run solely by the special constables, volunteers with the same powers as police officers who give up their time to make a difference to their communities.
An Essex Police spokesman said 12 of the 41 people arrested were taken in to custody.
You may also want to watch:
The other 29 were ‘street bailed’ for offences including failure to appear at court, traffic offences, drugs, TV licence fines, court fines and social security offences.
Special Inspector Alex Ward,of specialist operations at Essex Police, praised the efforts of the special constables.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 6 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 7 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 8 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 9 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
He said: “This kind of operation highlights the value and dedication the specials bring to Essex Police.
“As unpaid volunteers my colleagues have demonstrated their knowledge, confidence and commitment to helping our communities.”
The force spokesman said the volunteers made a “fantastic contribution”.
He said: “Operations like these demonstrate the fantastic contribution the Special Constabulary make to Essex Police.”
People interested in becoming a special constable for Essex Police are urged to find out more about the position. Visit www.essex.police.uk or call 01245 452277.