Essex: Plumber sentenced to unpaid work after carrying out ‘illegal and dangerous’ gas fitting
A plumber who connected a gas boiler despite not being qualified has been ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.
John Ranfield, of Lansdowne Close, Tiptree, helped install a downstairs cloakroom at a house in April 2013.
However while at the house he agreed to install a domestic gas boiler even though he was not on the Gas Safe Register, a legal requirement for anyone carrying out gas work.
Ranfield, 63, attached the boiler to the existing flue without carrying out the necessary checks and left the boiler with an unstable flame caused by incorrect combustion which could have potentially exposed the householders to carbon monoxide, Colchester Magistrates’ Court heard today.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which prosecuted Ranfield, said the work was classed as “immediately dangerous” by investigators with an additional two “at risk” defects found.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrates sentenced Ranfield to 150 hours of unpaid community service to be carried out over the next year and ordered him to pay costs of £500 after he admitted to three separate breaches of gas safety regulations.
Speaking after the case HSE inspector Kim Tichias said: “John Ranfield should have known better than to accept a job he was not qualified, competent, or legally allowed to do.
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 7 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
“People can die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and gas explosions. It is therefore vital that only registered gas engineers, who are trained and competent, work on gas appliances and fittings.”
To find out more about the Gas Safe Register visit its website or call 0800 408 5500.