Essex police officer sacked for drink driving
- Credit: Archant
A police officer who failed a roadside breath test in Essex has been dismissed for “unprofessional and reckless” behaviour.
PC Samantha Creighton was caught driving while over the limit by an off duty officer in September.
She has now been sacked from the force for discreditable conduct following a fast track hearing.
PC Creighton pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol at Colchester Magistrates’ Court in October, and was handed a 20-month driving ban and £490 fine.
Essex Police Chief Constable BJ Harrington described her actions as “unprofessional and reckless”.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The consequences of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can be catastrophic and devastate lives.
“Too often officers attend and witness the horrors of a collision involving a drink or drug driver. There are simply no excuses that one of our own officers, either off or on duty, got behind the wheel of her vehicle after drinking too much.
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 4 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 5 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 6 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 7 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 10 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
“We have a duty to keep all road users and pedestrians safe and I had no option but to dismiss PC Samantha Creighton for her illegal, unprofessional and reckless behaviour despite her previous creditable service.
“Today’s outcome should act as a reminder to everyone, that Essex Police deals appropriately with drink driving.”