Essex police officer suffers serious facial injury after she was slashed with garden shears following an incident in Clacton
Police are appealing for witnesses following a disturbance which saw two female officers assaulted and one left with a serious facial injury.
Essex Police received reports of a large disturbance at 9.10pm on Tuesday August 8 in Jackson Road, Clacton.
The incident involved a disturbance between a group of adults and youngsters.
A number of police officers were sent to the scene and the incident moved along to the corner of West Avenue and Agate Road.
Two female officers who attempted to intervene between the two groups were assaulted.
One officer suffered a minor leg injury. However her colleague suffered a serious facial injury after she was slashed with garden shears.
The officer was taken to hospital where she remains and is undergoing treatment.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 7 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 8 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 9 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches
- 10 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
Detectives are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to come forward.
Investigating officer Det Con Lee Winfield of Clacton CID said: “This was a large disturbance involving lots of people. Although we have made arrests we are keen to hear from witnesses who can help us establish exactly what happened in the lead up to our two officers being hurt.
“If you were involved and you haven’t spoken to us yet, please come forward. Equally if you were in the area and you have mobile phone or dash-cam footage we would like to hear from you.”
Det Insp Jim White added: “This was an extremely serious incident which left one of our officers seriously hurt. She is currently at hospital but will need ongoing treatment for her injuries.
“Our officers risk their lives every day to keep the communities of Essex safe. Sadly this is just another example of the very high price they sometimes pay whilst carrying out their duties.
“If people saw this incident and can help us with our investigation then I would implore them to do the right thing and get in touch.”
A 23-year-old woman from Clacton has been arrested on suspicion of two counts of assaulting a police officer. She remains in custody.
A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and possessing an offensive weapon.
Anyone with information is asked to call Essex Police on 101.