Essex pub set to open as the Prince Louis following refurbishment
- Credit: PA
Prince Louis may only be a few days old but he has already had a pub in Essex named after him.
The McMullen’s Brewery pub in Great Notley, near Braintree, has undergone a complete refurbishment costing more than £1million and the keys were handed over just as the prince was born.
It is believed the Essex pub is the only Prince Louis in the country, and was painted with its new sign on the day the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge announced his name.
The brewery is no stranger to royal names – McMullen’s also has a pub named after Princess Charlotte in Colchester and one after Prince George in Milton Keynes.
Prince Louis, who is fifth in line to the throne, arrived on Monday, April 23, weighing 8lb 7oz – a younger sibling for George and Charlotte.
You may also want to watch:
Heydon Mizon, managing director of McMullen’s, said the “stars aligned” for the naming process.
“The builders have been in there since before Christmas and they handed over to the training team just as the baby was born so the stars aligned and made the naming process much easier,” he said.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 8 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 9 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
“The design and refurbishment totalled over £1m, we hope that the local guests enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed creating it.
“Prior to us purchasing the pub it had been closed for a while and was destined to become a care home or block of flats. Being local to the site, I am delighted that it will now remain a pub.
“I think there have may have been a pub previously named Prince Louis but so far as we know there hasn’t been a trading pub of that name for some time and we are really pleased to be the only one now.”
Hertford-based brewers McMullen’s own more than 130 freehold pubs, mainly across the home counties with a number in London, including The Spice of Life Cambridge Circus and The Nag’s Head in Covent Garden.