Essex: Report reveals Essex Police officer misconduct
- Credit: Archant
A report into conduct by Essex Police officers and staff has revealed seven employees were on suspension at the end of March for misconduct investigations.
The quarterly report into the force’s Professional Standards Department has been published as part of Essex Police and Crime Commissioner Nick Alston’s commitment to transparency.
It reveals a number of employees inappropriately viewed information or began relationships with members of the public after meeting them on police duties.
Where officers have resigned before disciplinary hearings are held, and they are added to a national “disapproved” register.
Mr Alston said: “In the past some of these cases would never have become known to the public. I am aware there may be shock and disappointment at some of the details.
You may also want to watch:
“Remember that almost 6,000 people work for Essex Police, and there are hundreds of thousands of interactions between the public and the force, often in difficult circumstances, every year.
“Mistakes and errors of judgement occur in every organisation. The test of an organisation is how it deals with misconduct. Both Chief Constable Kavanagh and I are committed to ensuring the culture of Essex Police is one where everyone understands the critical importance of high professional standards, and constantly strives to deliver the best possible service.”
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 'This club is going to be flying next season' - Dyer on 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury and Vincent-Young injury
- 10 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction