Oxford Circus incident stood down by police as ‘no evidence’ of shots fired

The scene outside the London Palladium after Oxford Circus station in London was evacuated because o

The scene outside the London Palladium after Oxford Circus station in London was evacuated because of an "incident". Picture: YUI MOK/PA WIRE - Credit: PA

Police have officially stood down their response to an incident in central London.

Police have advised anyone who had taken shelter in a building that it is safe to leave.

Emergency services received “numerous” 999 calls at 4.38pm reporting shots fired in a number of locations on Oxford Street and at Oxford Circus underground station.

A Met Police spokesman said: “Given the nature of the information received, the Met responded in line with our existing operation as if the incident was terrorism, including the deployment of armed officers.

“Officers working with colleagues from British Transport Police carried out an urgent search of the area. No causalities, evidence of any shots fired or any suspects were located by police.

You may also want to watch:

“Some cordons remain in place and additional officers remain on duty in the West End to reassure the public. We thank the public for their patience and assistance during our response.”

The force reminded people to call 999 immediately if they spotted anything suspicious.

Most Read

Shoppers on Oxford Street had been urged by police to stay inside while emergency services responded.

The British Transport Police said one woman sustained a minor injury while leaving Oxford Circus Station.


Transport for London said both Oxford Circus and Bond Street Underground stations have now re-opened and trains are stopping normally

Singing star Olly Murs, from Witham, had tweeted that he was caught up in the incident.

He reported he was in the Selfridges store on Oxford Street when gun shots were heard.

Mr Murs was among others in the back office area, before the store was evacuated, with the X-Factor star saying “heart is pounding”.

He later tweeted to say he’d later been told there were no shots.

The area was packed with rush-hour commuters and shoppers along the shopping street.

Greg Owen, 37, from London, said: “I was next to the tube station and everyone started screaming and shouting and then a flood of people came up the stairs.”

And a witness who only wanted to be known as Emma said she heard something which sounded like “three shots.”

She said: “There were shots fired on Oxford Street and then armed police ran into me and my friend.

“Armed Police were running up Argyll Street and now we’re locked in French Connection.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus