Man arrested after explosion from ‘homemade device’ rocks village
- Credit: Archant
Police are today still investigating after a “huge bang” rocked a village – understood to have been caused by a homemade explosive.
Emergency services and bomb disposal experts were dispatched to Lawford after the blast last night.
It understood that a number of vehicles were damaged but no-one was hurt.
Police have said that it was not a terrorism incident.
Officers said a 64-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing an explosion likely to endanger life or property. He is still in custody for questioning by investigating officers.
The incident happened at Wignall Street in Lawford just after 7pm.
Police sealed off the A137 Wignall Street to Ogilvie Hall for some time while they dealt with the incident.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 5 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
- 10 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
Officers said this was for the safety of the public.
The MoD bomb disposal squad attended to search the area – including a property – with specialist teams and advise police co-ordinating the operation.
Essex Police said the cause of the explosion was a “homemade explosive device”.
A spokeswoman said: “We were called shortly after 7.05pm today, Friday 14 August, with reports of an explosion in Wignall Street, Lawford.
“Emergency services attended and quickly established the cause was a homemade explosive device.
“Fortunately no-one was hurt and a 64-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of causing an explosion likely to endanger life or property. He remains in custody for questioning.
“A cordon has been put in place for the public’s safety while an address is searched by specialist teams. The military’s explosive ordnance disposal unit is also in attendance.
“There is no suggestion this was related to any terrorism incident.”
One resident said there had been a “huge bang” and another said people had been asked to leave their homes for safety reasons.