Eyesore yacht pond on Felixstowe seafront set for £100,000 revamp
- Credit: Archant
Proposals have been drawn up for a £100,000-plus revamp, including an outdoor events arena, for Felixstowe’s biggest seafront eyesore.
The derelict yacht pond and former go-kart track and crazy golf sites behind the resort’s leisure centre have been unused and decaying for years and constantly criticised by councillors and residents alike.
Owners Suffolk Coastal council tried and failed to sell the site, which was then left vacant ready to act as a compound for the multi-million pound new pier project.
However, the pier is now facing a serious delay with fresh plans set to be drawn up, and the district council felt it had to act and tidy the site with a short-term but versatile project.
Suffolk Coastal said it would use the boating lake area for:
You may also want to watch:
?Grassed informal open space;
? A mix of hard standing car park for 70 vehicles and grassed events area, multi-functional to suit programme of events and general activity use for peak times;
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 7 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
? Two sites for kiosks or other outlets;
? A cycle lane through the area;
? Landscaping to the north and east;
? Suitable lighting.
The district council said: “The boating lake and surrounding area immediately to the west and behind the Felixstowe Leisure Centre has been in a state of severe disrepair for a number of years.
“This has obviously detracted from the Felixstowe seafront visitor experience and tourism offer.
“Proposals to tackle this local eyesore have previously been delayed due to the need to use this land to facilitate the pier redevelopment project.
“However, since the timeframe to redevelop the pier has extended and design changes mean that this area is no longer critical to the redevelopment plans, SCDC has taken the decision to invest significant funds to improve the area’s appearance and utility for visitors and residents alike.
“The area is being redeveloped with versatility in mind and will include a grassed events area that will suit a wide range of events and general activity alongside a hard standing car park.
“The final design details and costs are currently being worked up and will be finalised in January.
“Work is also taking place on the underlying business case to support the scheme which will include the generation of income from events, car parking and concessions. SCDC investment in the scheme will be substantially in excess of a £100k.”