Family's tribute to hanged daughter
EXCLUSIVEBy Ted JeoryA DISTRAUGHT family paid an emotional tribute last night to a teenage daughter who was found hanged.The body Hannah Cockett, 15, was discovered hanging in an upstairs room at a house in Mill Road on Mersea Island.
By Ted Jeory
A DISTRAUGHT family paid an emotional tribute last night to a teenage daughter who was found hanged.
The body Hannah Cockett, 15, was discovered hanging in an upstairs room at a house in Mill Road on Mersea Island. An inquest into her death is due to open today.
You may also want to watch:
The teenager's death - which is understood to have happened on Friday night - has shocked the island.
Grieving friends and relatives pinned flowers, poems and messages of sorrow onto railings near the home in Vince Close where the young pupil of Thomas, Lord Audley School in Colchester lived.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
A family member said last night: “Hannah was lovely - the prettiest girl in Mersea.
“She had lots of friends and she was a really happy girl. After school or at the weekends she'd stay in and baby-sit so her mum could go out sometimes.
“She told me all her life she wanted to be a singer. She was excellent at it and loved dancing to rap, garage, hip hop and R&B.”
A close teenage friend of Hannah's, who did not want to be named, said she was missing her desperately.
“I knew her since she was a baby. She was really well-loved and she would not hurt or say a bad thing about anyone,” she added.
“She was bubbly and patient and would always be there to listen to your problems. She found time for everyone.”
An Essex Police spokesman said: “A girl was found hanging in a home in Mill Road. Officers at the scene carried out the necessary procedures.
“A post-mortem was carried out in the presence of police officers. The result was given as unaided suicide.”