Fatal fire cause was accidental
INVESTIGATORS sifted through the charred wreckage of a bungalow yesterday searching for clues to what caused a fierce fire which killed the woman who lived there.
Carole Rawlinson, 65, died in the blaze which started in the lounge of her home in Larkhill Way, off Grange Farm Avenue, Felixstowe.
Fire investigators and police scenes of crime officers have still to pinpoint the exact cause of the fire – but yesterday confirmed it was accidental and not arson.
Emergency services were called at 10.10pm on Wednesday after a neighbour spotted flames.
Two crews from Felixstowe fire station and one from Ipswich tackled the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
“We are still waiting for the conclusion of the investigation but it is not looking suspicious,” said Det Sgt Andrew Smethurst, of Felixstowe CID.
He said there was “absolutely nothing” to link the fire to reports of a gang of youngsters seen in the area shortly before.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 7 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 8 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 9 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
No post mortem has yet taken place to identify the cause of death, but is expected to take place in the next few days.
The coroner has been informed and an inquest will be held.
Sheila Fahy, a close friend of Mrs Rawlinson who worked with her at the St Felix Home for the Blind in Felixstowe, said: “She was the kindest, most generous person I have ever known.
“She was good to everybody, never doing anything to harm anyone.”
Mrs Rawlinson, a former cook, who was divorced from her husband around 30 years ago, suffered with emphysema, a lung condition that causes shortness of breath.
“She didn’t need a carer she had me, we all rallied around her so we could always make sure she was alright,” said Mrs Fahy, of St Mary’s Close, Trimley St Mary.