'Fed-up' commuter plans train party

A COMMUTER who has attracted thousands of hits on his blog dedicated to chronicling his daily experiences of travelling by train to London is organising an on-board party.

Annie Davidson

A COMMUTER who has attracted thousands of hits on his blog dedicated to chronicling his daily experiences of travelling by train to London is organising an on-board party.

The 24-year-old set up the site after accepting a new job in London which meant a daily commute from his home in Colchester with train operator National Express.

Within two weeks the financial journalist, who is remaining anonymous, said he was “totally fed up” with the service and was considering moving to the capital


You may also want to watch:


His blog - which can be found at ihatenationalexpress.blogspot.com - has attracted more than 5,000 hits since it was set up three weeks ago.

Now the self-named 'fed up commuter' has called on other passengers to join him in a train party on July 11 on the 6pm London Liverpool Street to Norwich service.

Most Read

He said: “People can get together and bring drinks and snacks - it is going to be a friendly affair.

“I would like to build up a bit of a rapport really - everyone commuting is quite fed up and it will be nice to have a chat and discuss things.

“I am looking forward to it.”

And he vowed it would not be like the 'last round on the underground' party which led to 17 arrests and the closure of six London Underground stations after revellers marked the last day before a ban on taking alcohol on the tube.

On May 31 thousands of party-goers went to the event which had been advertised on social networking site Facebook and began in good spirits but eventually turned sour.

The ban was introduced by new London Mayor Boris Johnson and applied to trains and buses as well as the tube.

The frustrated commuter added that he had issued a challenge to National Express and asked for a face-to-face meeting with them to thrash out his complaints.

But he said despite the company looking at his website on a regular basis no-one had got in touch with him.

“They are ignoring me but I am not going to go away,” he said.

In a statement, National Express East Anglia said: “The views and opinions of our customers are always very important to us, and we will be in contact with the customer to answer the points raised.

“Three separate incidents caused the disruption to mainline journeys between June 9 and 13 and we are working with Network Rail to offer additional compensation to customers and to understand the cause of the issues, to prevent them happening again”.

annie.davidson@eadt.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter