Felixstowe: Culture fair to highlight resort’s diverse community
- Credit: Archant
Cultural diversity will be celebrated in Felixstowe tomorrow with a packed three hours of events in the town centre.
The culture fair is taking place at The Canopy, The Triangle, Hamilton Road, from noon to 3pm, with around 25 stalls, plus live performances of dance and music, including majorettes and Bollywood, and also cultural cuisine demonstrations and food tasting, and a variety of children’s activities.
Members of the Felixstowe Fairtrade Forum will be using the event to draw attention to the exploitation of workers in developing countries by staging an exhibition.
Stephen Wyatt, secretary of the forum, said: “Recent events in Bangladesh have highlighted the exploitation of garment workers on very low pay, working in unsafe conditions.
“A recent TUC report suggested that 2p on the price of a T-shirt could double workers’ wages.
You may also want to watch:
“One way to ensure that producers get a fair wage and decent conditions is to buy Fairtrade branded goods.”
The group’s stand will have a range of Fairtrade goods for sale from Traidcraft and an opportunity to order Fairtrade clothes.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 3 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 4 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 5 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 6 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 7 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 8 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 9 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 10 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?