Felixstowe: Town centre official opening
SHOPPERS can make the most of the newly redeveloped Felixstowe town centre as it has its official opening ceremony on Friday.
Suffolk County Councillor Guy McGregor, responsible for roads and planning, will be cutting the ribbon at 2pm as traders and shoppers celebrate the end of a long period of refurbishment along Hamilton Road.
The controversial shared space scheme, which has just been completed, allows pedestrians and drivers equal right of way along the road to improve the atmosphere for people in the town centre.
Coun McGregor said: “Previously this part of Hamilton Road was dominated by traffic and parked cars and - compared to similar shopping streets in Suffolk - it had a poor road safety record.
“Not only have the improvements made the road safer but the appearance of the whole area has been much improved, making visiting and shopping in Felixstowe a more enjoyable experience. The new seating areas are already proving to be very popular with the public.”
You may also want to watch:
The opening ceremony will be followed by the first of two late night shopping events which have seen a number of retailers - both independents and national chains - volunteer to stay open until 8pm to encourage residents back into the town centre.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!