Felixstowe: Woman recovering after car crashed into railings and ends up on care home’s dining room roof
A WOMAN in her 60s is recovering today after her car crashed into a set of railings and ended up on the glass roof of a care home’s dining room.
The single-vehicle incident, which involved a Ford Escort, happened at Cotman House in Garfield Road just before 11am yesterday – staff said she had just visited a relative at the home.
It is understood the car was an automatic and the force of the impact broke the railings before the vehicle came to rest.
The dining room of the home is on a lower floor and the glass roof is level with the pavement.
The home’s proprietor, Colin Bentley, described the incident as ‘bizarre’ but insisted the driver was never in any danger of breaking the glass.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We put toughened glass there for health and safety reasons but we never expected a car to get on top. The glass was put there just in case kids went on it but for it to take a car is testament to the builders.
“It is bizarre – I have to say I never thought we would have anything like this.”
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 4 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 5 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 6 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 7 North Stander: Norwich will be back in Championship - can we join them?
- 8 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 9 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
- 10 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
Police, paramedics and the fire service were all called to the scene and the woman had to be released from the car by firefighters.
A spokeswoman for the fire service said the driver was taken to hospital with neck injuries, but they are not thought to be serious.
Cotman House was officially opened about 18 months ago and boasts an array of facilities for its residents including a cinema.
Mr Bentley added that no residents were in the dining room at the time of the incident.
He said: “The sound of the impact was so large that I think if they [residents] had been in there and looked up, it would have caused a shock.”
“We are grateful that she is OK because the whole incident could have been a lot worse.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to call police in Felixstowe on 101.