Felixstowe: Worst place to live jibe is described as balderdash
- Credit: Archant
Community leaders have hit back after their town had the dubious honour of being considered one of the worst places to live in Britain.
Felixstowe has been listed among 100 places competing for the Crap Town 2013 title.
Andrew Rowdon, chairman of Felixstowe Chamber of Trade, said the town was a lovely place to live and pointed to others who also believe in its future, and the £100million investment programme taking place.
He said: “I think the people who have said this are dreaming – it’s balderdash.
“How can you take seriously a list that includes the likes of Stratford upon Avon and Bury St Edmunds? We have got lots of positives here and the town is getting better all the time. I am proud to live in Felixstowe.
You may also want to watch:
“Why are people investing so much in Felixstowe at the moment if it’s so bad?”
Three superstore applications had been submitted, the sea defences refurbished, renovation of the gardens is taking place, new health centre, plans in place for a new pier, and work taking place on a new seafront park.
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 7 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
Roy Gray, of the Felixstowe Beach Hut and Chalet Association, said: “It’s a lovely place to live. We do have investment taking place and hopefully this will make the town more attractive to visitors.”
Former councillor Nick White said: “I doubt that it will stop people coming, and those of us who live here will continue to love the place. I absolutely love it, and short of a change in circumstances, I can’t see me leaving.”
A spokesman for Crap Town 2013 l said: “We are now in the process of whittling it down to the 50 that will be included in Crap Towns Returns when it’s published in October.”
If you would like to defend Felixstowe visit www.craptownsreturns.co.uk