Young family escape flat fire in Ipswich

A young family living in Ipswich were saved by their smoke alarm in the early hours of this morning

A young family living in Ipswich were saved by their smoke alarm in the early hours of this morning Picture: SUFFOLK FIRE AND RESCUE - Credit: SUFFOLK FIRE AND RESCUE

Firefighters have stressed the importance of smoke alarms after an Ipswich family were alerted to a potentially fatal blaze at their home.

A derelict building was hit by fire in the early hours of the morning Picture: PHIL MORLEY

A derelict building was hit by fire in the early hours of the morning Picture: PHIL MORLEY - Credit: Archant

Two fire crews rushed to the property on Bull Road in Ipswich shortly after 5am this morning following reports of a domestic flat fire.

Firefighters spent just under an hour bringing the blaze on the third-floor under control using specialist equipment.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue confirmed that a young family had managed to escape the property after being alerted to the blaze by their smoke alarm. Two cats were also rescued from the property.

A stop was called on the incident shortly before 6am.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter