'Severe' fire breaks out at Colchester home
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called to tackle a "severe" blaze which broke out in a bedroom of a house in Colchester.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service was called to the scene in St Andrews Avenue shortly after 6pm on Thursday.
Two fire crews from Colchester and one from Brightlingsea attended the blaze.
The occupants of the home, a couple with a young child, were safely out of the property when crews arrived, despite smoke alarms failing to sound.
Station Manager Danny Partridge said: "Crews, including two firefighters who recently completed their training, were faced with a severe fire in the bedroom.
You may also want to watch:
"They did a really good job in quickly getting it under control and clearing the smoke.
"Thankfully the occupants did exactly the right thing when they found the fire; they closed the bedroom door, got out, stayed out and called 999.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 5 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 6 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 7 Suffolk braced for Indian summer before forecast showers next week
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
"Because they shut the door, the fire damage was restricted to the bedroom and it minimised the smoke damage to the rest of the first floor."