Fire crews break door down and rescue chihuahua puppies from Wherstead Road flat fire in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Chihuahua puppies were rescued from a flat fire in Ipswich after a saucepan was left cooking on an oven.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was called to the Cavendish Heights flat block in Wherstead Road at about 2.10pm.
A total of eight appliances plus an aerial ladder were tasked because the fire was on the third-floor and crews were not sure if people were inside.
Phil Geeson, watch commander at Princes Street, said: “We used forced entry to get inside the flat as no one was answering the door. They (the puppies) are fine and are with their owner at the moment.”
He said the small fire, caused by food being left on the stove, produced smoke and an “acrid smell”.
You may also want to watch:
Several of the fire appliances were stood down when the nature of the incident was realised.
Police were called to control traffic on the busy road near the IP-City Centre.
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 8 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 9 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 10 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer