Smoke alarm warning following kitchen fire in Braintree
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters in Essex have urged residents to check their smoke alarms following a kitchen fire in Braintree.
Crews were called to the fire, in Achilles Way, at around 4.50pm on Sunday, April 14 after receiving reports that a pan of cooking oil had caught alight.
When crews arrived, firefighters reported the fire was already out but worked to ventilate the property.
However while carrying out fire safety checks they discovered that although there was a smoke alarm in the property, the battery had been removed.
Firefighters fitted working smoke alarms inside the house.
You may also want to watch:
Crew manager Paul Mayes said: “Smoke alarms alert you to the first sign of fire in your home and can be the difference between life or death.
“Although it can be tempting to remove a battery or disconnect an alarm, it’s vital that you never do this and regularly test your alarm to ensure it’s working correctly.”
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 8 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 10 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service will provide and fit smoke alarms completely free of charge.
Call 0300 303 0088 for more information or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book