Fisherman step up quota campaign
FISHERMEN have stepped up their campaign against EU fishing quotas in the run-up to European elections.The protesters used the 40-foot yacht, Super S, which was berthed at Harwich Quay yesterday, as a backdrop to present Euro candidate Jeremy Titford with a bill that they claimed was the cost of the damage caused to Britain by the EU's Common Fisheries Policy.
FISHERMEN have stepped up their campaign against EU fishing quotas in the run-up to European elections.
The protesters used the 40-foot yacht, Super S, which was berthed at Harwich Quay yesterday, as a backdrop to present Euro candidate Jeremy Titford with a bill that they claimed was the cost of the damage caused to Britain by the EU's Common Fisheries Policy.
The yacht's skipper, Dave Horsley, then sailed out of the harbour, accompanied by a flotilla of Harwich fishing boats in support of the UK Independence Party's stance in the impending elections.
Mr Horsley will be taking the bill on the rest of his voyage, during which he will meet up with a fishing trawler, the J-Anne. Both vessels will then sale together up the Thames and the protest will culminate in a special event at Traitors' Gate on June 6.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Titford, from Frinton, said: "The support of the Harwich fishermen is much appreciated. They understand the great damage that membership of the EU has done to our fishing industry and to their livelihoods.
"We are an island nation, but now, incredibly, unless something is done to reclaim our fishing waters, we face a future without a fishing industry at all."
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
Harwich MP Ivan Henderson was also in the town yesterday to support Labour's EU candidates ahead of the launch of its European election manifesto.