Firefighters battle field fire in Mile End near Brandon
- Credit: Archant
Fire crews battled a field blaze in Mile End near Brandon where 100m x 120m of undergrowth was on fire.
The fire service were called to the scene, off Crown Street, at around 10.52am today, Friday, July 20.
According to a spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, five pumps - including engines from Brandon, Bury St Edmunds Mildenhall and Newmarket - attended the scene.
She said: “100m by 120m of undergrowth is alight.
“Sheds and outer buildings are also involved in the fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Police have been called to the scene.”
A police spokesman said officers were requested by the fire service to provide support.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 4 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Pedestrian taken to hospital after collision with car
- 10 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-3 draw at Colchester
Fire crews surrounded the fire to get it under control.
Two crews remained on scene to check for hot spots and have no left the scene.
Fire crews have had a busy month, with fires in the open breaking out all over Suffolk and Norfolk.
Dan Fearn, Deputy Chief Fire Officer for Suffolk Fire and Rescue, has issued fresh advice to the public on how they can do their part in reducing the number of fires.
He said: “This sustained period of hot and dry weather, means that open land is more vulnerable to fire.
“The cause of these fires can be accidental, such as broken glass or simply a natural occurrence.
“As we have seen from a number of recent field fires in Suffolk, they can spread quickly due to the extremely dry conditions and prevailing winds.
“However we all have a responsibility to make sure we do not contribute to these fires.
“For example, barbecues should only be used at home, placed on bricks and sheltered from gusts of wind. Do not discard glass or cigarettes and never start fires or barbecues in the open.
“Our firefighters have managed and responded excellently this summer to make sure Suffolk is kept safe.
“We’d also like to thank the farmers who assist us and employers who allow our on-call firefighters to attend incidents.”
Stay with is for more on this breaking story.