Flood alert issued for Suffolk and Essex coast today and tomorrow
- Credit: Ian Barratt
A flood alert for the Suffolk and Essex coast has been issued by the Environment Agency, warning that some coastal roads and footpaths could be flooded today and late tonight.
The alert covers the coast from Felixstowe to Clacton, including the Orwell and Stour estuaries.
Tides are currently higher than usual due to high spring tides and a small surge, and the agency warned of "a possibility of some minor flooding to coastal roads and footpaths" up to 1.45pm today.
It has also issued alerts for the tidal Deben estuary and Bawdsey Quay over high tide levels between 12.05 am and 2am on Monday, with high tide levels at Felixstowe Ferry and riverside areas at Woodbridge and Waldringfield.
Areas most at risk are said to be Bawdsey Quay and in front of the flood defences at Felixstowe Ferry, as well as isolated riverside properties on the tidal River Deben estuary. An alert for other areas of the coast may also be issued for tonight.
You may also want to watch:
A flood alert is also currently expected for 1.36pm on Monday.
The flood gates at Felixstowe seafront were being closed due to today's alert.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 8 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 9 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
- 10 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
The agency's Flood Information Service also warned that the waterfront at Pin Mill and The Strand at Wherstead under the Orwell Bridge may be flooded, and there could be water on the quay at Mistley.
It said: "Take care on coastal roads and footpaths and don't put yourself at risk."