Ford Popular: “Sit up and Beg”
- Credit: Archant
Tony Harris shares with us his memories of his first car, a 1959 green Ford Popular
“My first car was a 1959 green “Sit up and Beg” Ford Popular which I bought in 1963 prior to starting a teacher training course in Lincolnshire,” he said.
“It was very reliable for the three years that I drove it from Essex.
“One drawback, however, was that as the windscreen wipers were vacuum driven, they were very slow going up hill and extremely fast going down hill.
“I eventually traded it in for a 1933 Austin 10 which I later sold to buy an engagement ring.”
You may also want to watch:
Share your first car memories by emailing email@example.com
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 'This club is going to be flying next season' - Dyer on 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury and Vincent-Young injury
- 10 WATCH as man calmly rips wooden gate off hinges before walking away