Free car parking for shoppers in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
An extra 400 free car parking spaces have been made available to visitors to Bury St Edmunds in the run up to Christmas and into the New Year.
Following discussions between Greene King and St Edmundsbury Borough Council, the leading pub retailer and brewer has announced it will open its staff car park off Cullum Road for every Saturday between now and January 3.
Alaric Pugh, St Edmundsbury Cabinet Member for Economic Growth, said: “We know our car parks are extremely busy at this time of year, especially at weekends.
“We have already announced initiatives such as Free from 3 car parking on Thursdays in the run up to Christmas, as well as on the usual Tuesdays. We have made our own staff car park in Olding Road, available for free over the next three weekends.
“Greene King kindly made their car park available during our very successful Christmas Fayre, and I am delighted they are making it available for the remaining Saturdays between now and January 3.
You may also want to watch:
A Greene King spokesman said: “We all know how busy it can get in our popular town centre over Christmas so hopefully by opening up our car park it will make a trip to the shops a little easier.”
A council spokesman advised shoppers to arrive before 10am or after 3pm to beat traffic.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results