Fundraising appeal launched to help those left homeless after Sudbury fire
- Credit: Archant
A fundraising appeal launched by a 26-year-old factory worker raised more than £1,500 for those left homeless by the Sudbury blaze.
Dan Richardson said he started the online appeal in response to social media being inundated with people saying they were willing to donate.
A total of £1,650 has been raised and Mr Richardson said he has been left “overwhelmed”. Click here to donate.
Mr Richardson, of Mallard Way, Great Cornard, said: “Lots of people were saying on Facebook and Twitter that they were willing to donate money to help those left homeless.
“I thought, why not set one up. So I quickly created one and the response was brilliant. It kept being shared and retweeted in a matter of hours hundreds of pounds had been raised.
“The community has really pulled together to help those affected by the fire. I went down myself and it looks like a bomb has gone off. It just makes you feel sick to see such damage.
You may also want to watch:
“When you live in small town you never think something like that is going to happen to those that you know. It shows how deadly a small fire can turn into a big disaster.”
Mr Richardson, who works for Philips Avent in Glemsford, is now in the process of donating the sum to Sudbury Town Council.
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
One anonymous donator wrote: “Feel so sorry for the loss of homes and business hope this small donation helps.”
Another wrote: “So SO sad...we could see the smoke early evening but didn’t realise what was going on until much later...our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected and enormous praise to the rescue services.”