Further accusations made against paediatric doctor from Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
Two more children have made allegations against paedophile Suffolk cancer specialist Dr Myles Bradbury, bringing the total number of complainants to 20.
Cambridgeshire Police confirmed they have received the additional complaints alleging abuse following the paediatric oncologist’s guilty pleas in September to a raft of sex offences against young cancer sufferers in his care, and child pornography charges.
Cambridge’s Addenbrooke’s Hospital, where Bradbury, of Herringswell, near Bury St Edmunds, worked has also said it has now received more than 200 calls to its helpline for patients set up following the case being made public.
In addition it has emerged that in November 2012 Bradbury flew out to an African orphanage in Swaziland on a church mission to help children with Aids. This was months after the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre in Britain was warned he was a possible suspect in a worldwide child pornography inquiry.
Detectives in Cambridge said they became aware of the trip during their probe which began in November 2013 and looked into the matter. There was no evidence suggesting he had abused any children while in Africa.
You may also want to watch:
Bradbury is due to be sentenced at Cambridge Crown Court on Monday, with his mitigation being put before the court today.
The disgraced doctor, who treated child cancer patients from across the region, is due to receive a substantial prison sentence. Neil Franklin, a spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said two further complaints have now been forwarded on to the Crown Prosecution Service for advice on how to proceed. He also confirmed officers were aware of Bradbury’s trip to Africa.
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
Bradbury admitted six counts of sexual activity with a child in September.
Bradbury, who held clinics at Colchester General and Ipswich hospitals, also admitted three counts of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity. He pleaded guilty to one count of voyeurism and two counts of making indecent images of a child.
Police confirmed that more than 16,000 indecent images of children were also found on a disk at his home when it was visited by Suffolk Constabulary. Two pens with cameras inside were also discovered. One had images on, the other did not.
A laptop belonging to Bradbury was traced to a recycling plant in Thetford after it had been taken to Mildenhall recycling centre. The hard drive was missing.
Bradbury’s sex offences involved 18 victims aged from eight to 17 and took place between 2009 and last year.
Bradbury denied a count of sexual activity with a child and a count of sexual assault. He is currently on court bail.