Gallery: Andy Abbott delves back through his photographic memories of west Suffolk
- Credit: Archant
Photographer Andy Abbott thought he exhausted his supply of old photographs but a new year loft clear-out he uncovered another box of old prints.
He said: “So here are more of my pictures found documenting the visits of various actors, sportsmen and celebrities when I was based in Bury St Edmunds.
“When Errol Brown and Hot Chocolate appeared at the Corn Exchange I was a nervous young photographer facing, as the picture shows, the fairly impassive group before me.
“The first band I actually pictured was Slade at the Odeon, in a very smoky atmosphere, and I also remember covering Showaddy-waddy, Kenny and Judge Dread in the Seventies, when some big groups used to play in the town.
“Great memories and at the time big experiences for all who were present at the various events.
You may also want to watch:
“Next week I look back at when my daughter broke her femur aged just two and a rash promise to run the London Marathon to raise funds for the West Suffolk Hospital Children’s Ward.
“Exactly 20 years ago this year the money launched the £1million Rainbow Appeal for the hospital.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 5 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 8 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 10 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
“Also coming up will be pictures I was asked to take when the old Fire Station in Fornham Road, Bury St Edmunds, closed in 1987.”