Gallery: Award-winning Wickham Market Extravaganza hailed as a ‘truly remarkable event’
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of an award-winning village fete in east Suffolk have praised the community for producing a “truly remarkable event”.
More than 2,000 visitors attended Saturday’s Wickham Market Extravaganza to enjoy a whole host of entertainment, ranging from ballroom dancing to vintage vehicle displays.
Organised by the primary school association and Wickham Market Town Team, the event is hoped to exceed to the £2,500 raised at last year’s award-winning extravaganza, to be split between the school and Magpas – a medical charity offering emergency medical support in the east of England.
Ruth Leigh, school association chairman, said it was a “truly remarkable event”.
“Standing in the sunshine, looking out over the throngs of people as the event drew to a close, everywhere we looked we could see happy, smiling people enjoying themselves,” she added. “It has been a lot of hard work but that made it all worthwhile.”
You may also want to watch:
For the first time, this year’s event was held over two locations – the school field, where last year’s took place and The Hill, in the centre of the village, which hosted a musical procession led by the Sambooba band.
Mrs Leigh said the move was made to broaden the event’s appeal and proved a major success.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 7 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 8 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 9 Restaurant launches giant cheesecake and cookie company
- 10 Town remain in talks with Edwards over new deal
She thanked the event’s sponsors for their donation of prizes.