Gallery: British Empire Medals awarded to community stalwarts
MEN and women were honoured for their tireless community work and dedication when they were presented with the British Empire Medal yesterday.
Set in the backdrop of Helmingham Hall, the Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, Lord Tollemache presented seven people with the BEM as part of the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.
For 35 years Gloria Maden has coached netball and works at the Civil Service Club in Ipswich. On first hearing about the medal, Mrs Maden said: “I could not believe it - I thought it was a hoax. I’m pleased for everyone to be recognised, it’s been a wonderful day.”
Musician Mark Rodman, 50, has been battling a rare nervous system disease for the past 20 years but has continued to work at churches and schools in Newmarket: “When I first read the letter I had to read it eight to nine times to know it was me.”
Eric Dockerill, 66, of Ipswich, was honoured for his long service with St John Ambulance. Christine Bird, 76, received the medal for community work in Eye and Brome. Orford’s Laura Gillespie, 46, has helped the community with her work in the local garage for 26 years. Shirley Barrett, 52, works for an East Anglian traveller’s charity. David Turner, 74, of Hitcham, has edited two parish magazines for the past 30 years.
You may also want to watch:
Lord Tollemache, speaking at his family’s historic home, said: “What has happened today is the culmination of all the hard work and commitment which you have put into your lives on behalf of others. And this is has now been recognised by the Queen to show how very special you all are and how hugely appreciated what you have done is to so many people where you live and work.”
- 1 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 2 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 3 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 4 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 5 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 6 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 7 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 8 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 9 Burgers, Wings and Ribs comes to Stowmarket
- 10 'We are on the brink of closure' - Sixty year old swimming club in desperate bid for new coach