Gallery: Delicate operation as cap is removed from Burwell Mill
- Credit: Archant
The cap on Burwell’s historic mill was hoisted off by crane yesterday as part of an £420,000 restoration project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
An enormous 65-ton crane carried out the delicate lifting operation, as dozens of nervous supporters from Burwell Museum gathered to watch.
The procedure had been due to take place earlier this year but had to be postponed at the last minute because of a flurry of snow and ice.
The cap, which weighs in at six tons, was lifted off and placed on the grass beside the mill before a temporary flat roof was placed on top to protect it from rain while repairs are being carried out. The Grade II*-listed mill’s cap roof is being removed as it is seized in position and cannot be turned by the six-bladed fantail. The safest method of repairing the cap is to lift it off the tower and work on it at ground level.
Over the summer months, the mill will be encased in scaffolding to allow conservation builders to work on the external lime render, to re-tar the tower and to repair and re-paint the windows.
You may also want to watch:
Restoration on the mill, built in about 1820, is expected to be ongoing until spring next year, when it will be returned to full working condition.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 7 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 8 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 9 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car