Gallery: Images of Witham acid attack victim’s injuries released by Essex Police in bid to prompt witnesses to speak out
- Credit: Su Anderson
WARNING: Some of the images contained in the image gallery are quite graphic.
Shocking images showing the injuries sustained by an acid attack victim have been released by detectives.
Wayne Ingold, 56, had a corrosive liquid thrown over him at the entrance to the flats in Bramble Road, Witham, where he lived.
The incident happened at about 10.45am on Friday August 8.
Essex Police hope the graphic photographs will prompt more witnesses to come forward, and Mr Ingold has authorised their use.
The pictures were taken by a friend while he was receiving initial hospital treatment,
Mr Ingold had gone to collect his post from the communal entrance of the flats when he encountered two men banging on the door.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 3 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 4 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 5 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 6 Revealed: Where house prices are rising fastest in Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich Town away shirt sales up by 138%!
- 8 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 9 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 10 Severe delays on A14 after lorry sheds load of sand on carriageway
Following a brief exchange the two men threw the liquid, which was in a glass bottle, over Mr Ingold and ran off.
He has suffered severe injuries to his hands and face and he has had to have skin grafts which are on-going.
Det Con Alan Lewis said: “The photographs clearly show how Wayne suffered appalling injuries in this incident.
“He has asked us to release them to show what these people are capable of causing and how they have to be taken off the streets and brought to justice.
“It is believed that this was a case of mistaken identity and that extensive investigations have shown that there is no evidence that anyone in the area was the intended victim in this crime.
“We have now widened our enquiries into the London area but we are still hoping that people in Witham may remember seeing the two men in the Efits [contained in the gallery].
“We also hope that someone might remember seeing the two men in Bramble Road up to half an hour before the incident occurred. We believe that they seemed to be lost and were wandering around looking at property numbers before arriving at the flats.
“We know they had a blue Vauxhall Signum or hatchback-style vehicle that was seen in the area but we have no information about the index number or anything else that would help us find it.”
Anyone with information, no matter how insignificant it might seem, is asked to contact Braintree CID on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.