Gallery: Ipswich Hospital welcomes New Year babies
IT was an extra special start to the year for these proud parents, as they toasted 2013 by welcoming new lives into the world.
Maternity staff at Ipswich Hospital were kept busy on New Year’s Day with a host of new mums and babies to look after.
Carolyn Jones, 20, of Kesgrave, was one of the first to go into labour in the early hours, but didn’t give birth to 7lb 2oz baby Olivia until 8.06am.
“She was supposed to be born before New Year. She was 12 days overdue,” Carolyn said. “I was one of the first to go into labour, but the third to give birth.”
First to arrive on the busy ward was Isaac Luther Chandler. Mum Leonara Chandler gave birth to the 8lb 4oz baby at 4.45am.
You may also want to watch:
Katarzyna Frontczak greeted 8lb 13oz newborn Jakub shortly afterwards, at 5.30am.
Rebecca Sorapure, 29, and husband David, 42, from Ipswich were delighted when 6lb 7oz Matthew Henry arrived at 9.57am, despite him being two-and-a-half weeks early.
- 1 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 5 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 6 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 8 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 10 Mega theme park plans 'could add to Essex traffic problems'
David said: “It’s quite a relief, Becky had hyperemesis gravidarum (acute morning sickness) for most of the pregnancy – the same the Duchess of Cambridge had – so it’s quite a relief to have it over with.
“It’s a good way of starting the New Year.”
Proud mum Rebecca added: “2013 should be brilliant now, I can’t wait.”
Delighted dad Adam Gwilliam, 25, of Wherstead Road showed off 7lb 1oz Riley Gwilliam, born at 10.36am while mum Alana Hay, 25, enjoyed a well-deserved rest.
He said: “New year, new arrival – we’re more than happy.”
Ellen Gilson, of Marlesford, celebrated the start of 2013 by becoming a grandmother.
Her daughter Kate gave birth to 6lb 4oz baby Annabelle at 10.56am.
She said: “It’s lovely, it’s a brilliant start to a new year. She’s like a little doll.”