Gallery: Sudbury regatta hailed as best in its long history
Organisers of an international regatta in Sudbury have hailed this year’s event as the best in its 133-year history.
Thousands of people turned out to Friars Meadow on Saturday to enjoy the day, which involved 200 races and about 500 competitors.
Organised by Sudbury Rowing Club, Lee Adams, regatta secretary, said £7,000 to £8,000 had been raised for the club.
He said it looked like it had been a record year for the event, with the largest number of entries and probably spectators.
“Saturday by far was the best day we have had. There were 500 different people racing and 2,000 to 3,000 people came along as spectators. It was a very good day.”
Mr Adams said 27 different clubs were represented at the regatta, including from Kent, Leicester, with this year’s international side hailing from Budapest in Hungary.
He said the races involved single skulls right up to crew boats, and the age range of competitors was from 12 to someone in their 70s.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 8 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 9 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 10 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
This year, Sudbury Rowing Club had 32 entries - its largest number yet - and 12 wins, which Mr Adams said the club was “very pleased” with.
He said: “The regatta gives us an opportunity to invite other clubs as well as our own and race against each other.
“We do training throughout the year down here, but most clubs have a regatta of their own to promote their club.”
The regatta is Sudbury Rowing Club’s biggest annual fundraiser.
For more information on Sudbury Rowing Club visit www.sudburyrowingclub.org.uk