Gallery: Thousands raised at George’s Fun Day to help family fund inspirational George’s new wheelchair
- Credit: Archant
More than 1,000 people turned out at Whitton United Football Club in Ipswich on Saturday, to help raise funds for a child with a rare muscular condition.
Mum Laura Barber, 30, organised George’s Fun Day after the success of last year’s event, to help her three-year-old son George Woodward, who has Spinal Muscular Atrophy – a condition that causes muscle deterioration and can lead to severe disability.
The fun day included a variety of activities and entertainment for all the family, including appearances from Mickey Mouse and Lightning McQueen, a barbecue, face painting, Punch and Judy, majorettes, dancing groups and local stall holders.
The event, sponsored by Kidzone and supported by Asda, helped raise £9,000 towards the £22,000 needed for George’s wheelchair.
Overwhelmed mum Miss Barber, said: “It was amazing. It’s absolutely brilliant to see all those people there to support George, and raise money and awareness for his condition – it’s very touching.
“He is doing well and is a very happy little boy. He is still doing everything he wants to do and having a lot of fun.”
Work to being renovating the family’s house in Lagonda Drive is set to begin in September, after a successful fundraising campaign, which will help adapt the house for George including height-adjustable bathroom facilities and a lift.
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 5 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 6 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
- 7 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 8 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 9 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 10 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds