Find out just how haunted Bury St Edmunds is
- Credit: BURY ST EDMUNDS TOUR GUIDES
Ghost tours are being offered in Bury St Edmunds this Halloween season - and they will run right through to March.
Run by Bury St Edmunds Tour Guides, each tour is currently restricted to six customers due to coronavirus rules, and will give people the chance to get out and learn of the town’s darker past.
MORE: WEIRD SUFFOLK: The Bury St Edmunds bungalow and car showroom ghostsThe guides relish their evenings and dress appropriately – you may find yourself being led by the Witchfinder General, a monk, a grey lady, a grave-robber or an undertaker.
They all narrate “ghostly, grisly and ghoulish” stories with the aim to thrill and chill.
“The tours combine the elements that everyone likes in a good horror film – slightly scary but very believable,” said Martyn Taylor, one of the guides. “It’s up to the individual how they experience it but we never belittle people’s beliefs.”
MORE: The Bury St Edmunds witch trials - what do you know about this horrible history?The tours attract friends and family members as groups, but some people are content to come along on their own.
Tour guide Mike Dean reassured: “We haven’t lost anyone on our tours (yet!).”
John Saunders, also a tour guide, said the ghostly and macabre tours, which have operated since 2013, were very popular, and had already sold out for the Halloween weekend.
MORE: Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled - but there will be a festive fair in townHe added: “Although we have restricted groups to six people, we have eight guides available to undertake tours so we should be able to meet people’s needs, but to avoid disappointment and to assist our planning early online bookings are encouraged.”
- 1 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 4 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 5 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 6 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 7 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 8 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 9 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 10 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast