Find out just how haunted Bury St Edmunds is
- Credit: BURY ST EDMUNDS TOUR GUIDES
Ghost tours are being offered in Bury St Edmunds this Halloween season - and they will run right through to March.
Run by Bury St Edmunds Tour Guides, each tour is currently restricted to six customers due to coronavirus rules, and will give people the chance to get out and learn of the town’s darker past.
MORE: WEIRD SUFFOLK: The Bury St Edmunds bungalow and car showroom ghostsThe guides relish their evenings and dress appropriately – you may find yourself being led by the Witchfinder General, a monk, a grey lady, a grave-robber or an undertaker.
They all narrate “ghostly, grisly and ghoulish” stories with the aim to thrill and chill.
“The tours combine the elements that everyone likes in a good horror film – slightly scary but very believable,” said Martyn Taylor, one of the guides. “It’s up to the individual how they experience it but we never belittle people’s beliefs.”
MORE: The Bury St Edmunds witch trials - what do you know about this horrible history?The tours attract friends and family members as groups, but some people are content to come along on their own.
Tour guide Mike Dean reassured: “We haven’t lost anyone on our tours (yet!).”
You may also want to watch:
John Saunders, also a tour guide, said the ghostly and macabre tours, which have operated since 2013, were very popular, and had already sold out for the Halloween weekend.
MORE: Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled - but there will be a festive fair in townHe added: “Although we have restricted groups to six people, we have eight guides available to undertake tours so we should be able to meet people’s needs, but to avoid disappointment and to assist our planning early online bookings are encouraged.”
- 1 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 2 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 4 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 6 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 7 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 8 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
- 9 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 10 Four miles of queues after A12 collision