Girl, 15, killed in road crash
A TEENAGE girl was killed and her father seriously injured when the motorcycle they were riding was in collision with a car.The 15-year-old girl, who was riding pillion on the bike, was certified dead at the scene of the accident which happened on Mersea Road in Colchester, near to Weir Lane.
By Roddy Ashworth
A TEENAGE girl was killed and her father seriously injured when the motorcycle they were riding was in collision with a car.
The 15-year-old girl, who was riding pillion on the bike, was certified dead at the scene of the accident which happened on Mersea Road in Colchester, near to Weir Lane.
Her father was taken to Colchester General Hospital suffering from serious leg injuries.
You may also want to watch:
The youngster has not yet been named by police as they want to ensure all relatives have been informed of the accident.
It is understood the pair were from the Tendring area and were heading from Colchester towards Mersea.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 9 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 10 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
The crash happened at around 8pm on Tuesday when the black Honda motorcycle they were riding was in collision with a green Landrover Freelander.
The driver of the Freelander, who lives in Chelmsford, suffered from shock but was otherwise uninjured.
Police are appealing for another motorcyclist, thought to have overtaken the Honda in the moments leading up the crash, to come forward with information.
Anyone else who saw either vehicle before the collision or witnessed the accident itself is asked to contact Pc Paul Barry at Stanway Traffic Unit on 01206 762512.
A police spokesman said: “We would like anybody who might have seen the motorcycle or the Freelander prior to the collision to give us information.
“In particular we would like to hear from the motorcyclist near to the scene at the time it happened.”
The girl's death brings the number of people to have died on the roads of Essex this year to 48. Of those deaths, 13 involved motorcycles.