Girl savaged by dog 'serious but stable'
A TEENAGE girl was last night seriously ill in hospital after she was savaged by a pet dog.The 13-year-old girl was attacked by a bullmastiff which bit her on the neck, throat, arms and legs.
A TEENAGE girl was last night seriously ill in hospital after she was savaged by a pet dog.
The 13-year-old girl was attacked by a bullmastiff which bit her on the neck, throat, arms and legs.
When the ambulance arrived at the girl's home in Vega Close, Colchester, she was barely conscious.
Essex Ambulance Service manager John Nicholls said: “She suffered severe wounds to her neck and throat as well as multiple bites to her arms and legs.
You may also want to watch:
“When we arrived she was drifting in and out of consciousness. We stabilised her condition on the scene and administered fluids before rushing her to Colchester General Hospital. Medics had been alerted and were waiting to continue treating her.”
The girl's condition was last night described as “serious but stable”.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 3 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
Ambulance control called for police help in controlling the dog so paramedics could treat the girl.
Officers from Colchester police took the dog out of the way to allow paramedics to do their work.
It was agreed the dog should be destroyed following a meeting between police, the RSPCA and the dog's owner.
The girl's ordeal started before 2pm yesterday . Mr Nicholls' said he believed the dog was the girl's family pet.
Bullmastiffs were originally bred as guard dogs to catch poachers. They are a strong, powerful breed, which are protective of their families. They do not bark much but are aggressive, although they are considered to be good with children.