Great Blakenham: 100 tonnes of rubbish go up in flames at Mason’s landfill site
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters tackled a blaze at a rubbish plant in Great Blakenham this morning.
The blaze broke out at the landfill site in Blue Barn Lane shortly before 3.50am.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were alerted by a member of the public reporting seeing smoke in the area.
A crew from Needham Market discovered around 100 tonnes of household rubbish alight when they arrived at Mason’s Landfill Site.
Shortly after 5am firefighters requested back up and crews from Ipswich East and Newmarket joined the attempts to tackle the flames.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the fire service said the incident was brought under control by 5.47am.
He said: “It has been handed over to the site workforce who will cover the burning rubbish with soil to starve the fire of oxygen.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 5 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 6 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 7 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 8 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 9 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 10 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
“An appliance will be staying in attendance to ensure no further fire spread while the soil is being applied.”