Hadleigh: Hunt for fuel-tanker arsonist to continue
POLICE are to continue their search for the arsonist who started a major blaze at a fuel depot in Suffolk, which destroyed three fuel tankers and caused around �500,000 of damage.
Speaking at a Hadleigh Town Council meeting just before Christmas, Pc Matt Paisley told councillors that although police had arrested a man in connection with the attack earlier this month, they were still working with psychological profilers in a bid to catch the offender.
About 50 firefighters were called to the Ukay Fuel Limited storage depot on Lady Lane industrial estate on November 16 after witnesses reported columns of flames shooting 100ft into the night sky.
Pc Paisley said there had been 31 arson crimes in Hadleigh this year ranging from significant car fires to small blazes in bins, some of which might be linked.
He said: “While this is a worrying figure, we have to be aware that setting light to a bin is very different to setting a fuel tanker alight and there are a lot of factors that have to be taken into consideration.”
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Brian Lazenby said Hadleigh’s history of arson attacks was “worrying”, adding: “We had a spate of fires a few years ago and there are fears among residents that history could be repeating itself. This latest fire seems to be on a much bigger scale and it has created a bit of unease – we are all keen to see this resolved.”
Pc Paisley added: “The investigation into the fuel depot fire is very much ongoing and we are actively working with the Porch Project and other local organisations to build up some intelligence that might help us detect this crime.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 8 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 9 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
Anyone with information could be eligible for a �1,000 reward and should call police on 101.