Hadleigh: Police speak to 200 people in search for tanker arsonist
POLICE investigating a suspected arson attack on a fuel depot in Suffolk have spoken to about 200 people in its ongoing inquiry.
About 50 firefighters were called to the Ukay Fuel Limited storage depot on Lady Lane industrial estate, Hadleigh, on November 16 after witnesses reported columns of flame shooting 100ft into the night sky.
The blaze, which destroyed three fuel tankers, more than 29,000 litres of fuel and threatened to ignite 50,000 more, is believed to have caused about �500,000 of damage.
Police, who are still sifting through evidence, have estimated that they have so far spoken to about 200 people during extensive door-to-door inquiries.
A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said they were keen to talk to anyone with information about the fire or who knows someone that returned home smelling of fuel on the night of the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking last month, Detective Inspector Nick Power said police were keeping an “open mind” about whether the incident is linked to a string of arson attacks in Hadleigh.
Hours before the tankers burst into flames, a van and two cars were set on fire in Raven Way.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 2 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 3 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 6 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 10 'Managers don't get enough credit' - Walton delighted as Town deliver big win for boss Cook at Pompey
The town has also seen a number of minor arsons involving cars, wheelie bins and sheds.
Det Insp Power added: “We are not linking the arson to any other recent incidents in the area at this time but we are keeping an open mind.
“Arson is a reckless act that we take very seriously and officers are currently examining evidence and conducting enquiries to identify offenders.”
Town councillors expressed disbelief at the scale of the blaze but insisted that residents should be reassured by the level of police activity following the incident.
Police have joined firefighters in Hadleigh’s Market Place this week in an appeal for witnesses to the tanker fire and any other arson attacks.
Anyone with information should call police on 101. Crimestoppers said anyone with significant information into the tanker fires could be eligible for a reward of up to �1,000.