Harwich: Police investigate harbour incident
SWIMMERS were rescued from the icy seas off Harwich early this morning.
The coastguard, the RAF search and rescue team, police and paramedics were called to the harbour at around 6am after receiving reports that two people were in the water.
The RAF helicopter crew used infrared cameras to search the sea.
A spokesman said: “We found two men bobbing around mid-channel within the harbour.
“We contacted the coastguard and directed them to our position and they rescued the men.”
You may also want to watch:
Both men were wearing wetsuits but this proved no protection against the sub-zero temperatures and they were suffering from hyperthermia.
They have been taken to hospital for further treatment.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 6 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 7 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 8 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 9 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 10 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
Five people have been arrested on suspicion of drug offences.