Firefighters issue warning after wood burner fire almost spreads across house
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters are urging homeowners to have their chimneys serviced after a wood burner almost spread throughout a house.
Two engines from Colchester were called to a property in Heath Road on Saturday night (January 23), after a fire inside the wood burner had grown out of control.
Four people inside the house fled for their safety.
Firefighters had managed to extinguish the fire within half an hour and prevented the fire from spreading.
Peter Donovan, watch manager at Colchester Fire Station, said: "Our crews did a really professional job of extinguishing this fire quickly before it spread.
"However, these incidents are particularly common at this time of year when people are using chimneys and wood burners and often haven't had them serviced.
"We believe this incident was caused due to a faulty door seal in the wood burner, which allowed a flow of air in to accelerate the fire.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 7 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Plans for new 'ambitious' housing development moves forward
- 10 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
"This could have been avoided if the wood burner was serviced before use - so please, if you're planning on using your chimney or wood burner, don't take the risk - get them serviced first."
No-one was harmed during the incident.