Prisoner accused of walking out of jail before returning next day
- Credit: Archant
A prisoner has appeared in court accused of absconding from jail at the weekend.
Derek Pinto is alleged to have walked out of Hollesley Bay open prison, near Woodbridge, on Saturday.
The 22-year-old appeared at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Monday via video link from Martlesham Heath police investigation centre.
Prosecutor Wayne Ablett said Pinto had been charged with escaping from lawful custody on October 31.
Mr Ablett said Pinto was not present for 5pm roll call on Saturday, having “left the prison without the consent of authorities”, before returning the following day.
You may also want to watch:
Pinto, previously of Clarence Gardens, London, is serving eight years for possession of a weapon with intent to endanger life.
He was sentenced in March 2018 and transferred to Hollesley Bay prison in June this year.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 5 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Pinto was remanded in custody until a plea hearing at Ipswich Crown Court on November 30.