Prisoner accused of walking out of jail before returning next day
- Credit: Archant
A prisoner has appeared in court accused of absconding from jail at the weekend.
Derek Pinto is alleged to have walked out of Hollesley Bay open prison, near Woodbridge, on Saturday.
The 22-year-old appeared at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Monday via video link from Martlesham Heath police investigation centre.
Prosecutor Wayne Ablett said Pinto had been charged with escaping from lawful custody on October 31.
Mr Ablett said Pinto was not present for 5pm roll call on Saturday, having “left the prison without the consent of authorities”, before returning the following day.
Pinto, previously of Clarence Gardens, London, is serving eight years for possession of a weapon with intent to endanger life.
He was sentenced in March 2018 and transferred to Hollesley Bay prison in June this year.
- 1 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 9 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 10 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
Pinto was remanded in custody until a plea hearing at Ipswich Crown Court on November 30.