Homeowners urged to fit smoke alarms
A FIREFIGHTER has urged people to fit smoke alarms to their homes following a bedroom blaze which left one woman needing hospital treatment.Investigations are now underway into how yesterday's fire at a terraced house in Peckham Street, Bury St Edmunds, began.
A FIREFIGHTER has urged people to fit smoke alarms to their homes following a bedroom blaze which left one woman needing hospital treatment.
Investigations are now underway into how yesterday's fire at a terraced house in Peckham Street, Bury St Edmunds, began.
Crews from the town's fire station were sent to the scene, and arrived to find smoke billowing from an upstairs window.
The female homeowner, who discovered the blaze shortly before 11am, was cared for by neighbours until an ambulance transferred her to the West Suffolk Hospital. She was given treatment for smoke inhalation.
You may also want to watch:
"The fire was quite well-established when we arrived, with smoke issuing from the windows," said sub-officer Paul Viner, from the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service.
"The occupant was in the house at the time, and discovered the fire. She removed herself from the building and went to her neighbour's house.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 3 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 7 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 9 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
- 10 'I felt we deserved to win' - Cook on 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
"We successfully limited the spread of the fire, which took around ten to fifteen minutes. The building has suffered the usual smoke damage, and the lady has been taken to hospital for a check-up.
But the woman, sub-officer Viner, added, had been lucky to escape relatively unharmed, as the house had not been fitted with a smoke detector.
"We would encourage anyone without a smoke alarm to have one fitted," he said.
"We have no idea as to the cause of the fire at the moment, but there will be an investigation."