Sad announcement from zoo as ‘adorable’ horse dies
- Credit: COLCHESTER ZOO
Colchester Zoo have paid tribute to one of their much loved residents that died this morning.
The death of Meg the Shire Horse, who has lived at the Essex zoo since 2009, has led to emotional tributes on the zoo's Facebook page with families posting how much they will miss seeing her when they visit.
Colchester Zoo said: " Meg led a very happy life with us, she had an adorable personality and loved spending time out in the fields with the other horses but equally she enjoyed interacting with the public in the zoo and so became a firm favourite amongst visitors.
"Meg was a beautiful horse and will be sadly missed by the zoo family."
For the last six months Meg had been suffering with Uveitis, an inflammation of inside the eye which led to significant sight loss.
You may also want to watch:
The zoo said on their Facebook page: " As the days have been longer and brighter the Uveitis was becoming more uncomfortable for Meg and there was no further treatment available for her therefore the kindest but most difficult decision was made to put Meg to sleep."
- 1 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 2 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 3 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 4 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 5 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 6 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 7 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 8 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 9 Five fire engines called to red deer trapped in tree
- 10 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash