House blaze sparks evacuation
RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from their homes after a serious house fire tonight.
RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from their homes after a serious house fire in Colchester tonight.
Emergency services were called to Market Close at around 8.15pm after flames were seen coming from the roof of the property.
Firefighters from Colchester were at the scene in minutes but called for back-up as the fire spread across the roof.
Nearby resident Juliette Maxam said: “We could see flames coming out of the roof. At first I was worried my house was on fire, because I could smell burning in my dining room and kitchen, but then my son saw a big plume of smoke at the bottom of our garden.
“Our house is filled with smoke too, even though we live 300 metres away.”
- 1 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 2 Conveyor belt which carried pig carcases across Suffolk A-road is demolished
- 3 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
- 4 Seven players who could leave Ipswich Town this summer
- 5 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 6 Plans for 20 homes in Suffolk village unanimously refused
- 7 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 8 Warehousing units take shape at Ipswich as demand rockets
- 9 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 10 Ipswich Town's 'true league standing' revealed in new survey
Other nearby properties were also filled with smoke and police attended at the request of the fire brigade to evacuate residents.
Station Officer Brian Harper said the fire was caused by a bonfire which had caught on the roof of the house.
“Everyone was safe, they did the right thing and called us, I would say 40% of the roof and the right hand side of the house has been badly damaged,” he said.
Market Close is a small cul-de-sac off North Station Road overlooking the River Colne on the opposite side of the water from the River Lodge.