Search

Crews battle house blaze in Colchester – caused by candle

PUBLISHED: 06:45 30 November 2018 | UPDATED: 06:45 30 November 2018

The fire service have warned the public to be careful with candles after a house fire in Colchester Picture: GETTY IMAGES/iSTOCKPHOTO

The fire service have warned the public to be careful with candles after a house fire in Colchester Picture: GETTY IMAGES/iSTOCKPHOTO

Archant

Firefighters battled a house fire in Colchester after a candle fell over and set light to a bed.

Two fire crews from Colchester were called to the scene in Hamlet Drive at around 6.40pm last night, Thursday, November 29.

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters managed to quickly extinguish the fire but the bedroom where the fire began was destroyed.

He added the top floor of the house had also suffered smoke damage.

Watch commander Richard Lark from Colchester Fire Station, said: “Candles had been left in a window sil and the window was open.

“A gust of wind blew over the candles onto the bed which then quickly caught alight.

“Incidents like this show how important it is to use candles safely.

“It is very important that they are placed somewhere they can not fall or be knocked over.”

Following the incident, Mr Lark issued the following safety advice in regards to candles:

•Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire - like curtains.

•Children should not be left alone with lit candles.

•Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.

•Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.

•Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.

•Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.

•Don’t move candles once they are lit.

•Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.

•Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times